Working with other governments
Meetings of Cultural Ministers
The federal, state and territory ministers for arts and culture meet on a regular basis to collaborate on developing Australia’s arts and culture sector. Attendees include ministers responsible for arts and culture in each state and territory and the Federal Minister for the Arts. The New Zealand Minister for the Arts may be invited to participate in relevant discussions.
Areas of common interest or delivery between the jurisdictions include:
- Creative arts such as literature, musical composition and visual arts/craft
- Performing arts such as music, drama, opera and ballet
- Australian Indigenous arts and culture
- Film and digital media production, distribution and exhibition
- Collections, including those of museums, galleries, libraries and archives
At the end of each meeting the discussions and outcomes are summarised and made publicly available. Communiqués from the meetings, as well as a full list of Ministers responsible for arts and culture in each jurisdiction are on the Meeting of Cultural Ministers website . The ACT Government is represented at the Meetings of Cultural Ministers by the ACT Minister for the Arts.
The cultural ministers are advised and supported by a working group of public sector officials. This group considers arts and culture issues of national significance that require a collaborative approach. The ACT Government is represented on the Officials Working Group by the Director, Cultural Canberra.
These officials also coordinate other working groups which meet as necessary to progress key cross-jurisdictional priorities. A working group may include non-members from relevant disciplines.
Working groups are established with terms of reference and clear objectives to address matters of national significance requiring cross-jurisdictional collaboration, including:
- Cultural Data Online Working Group
- Digital Technologies Working Group
- Economic Value Working Group
- National Arts and Disability Strategy Working Group
- Statistics Working Group
Responsibility for hosting meetings of cultural ministers and officials and provision of secretariat support rotates among the jurisdictions.
Key State and Territory Government Arts Organisations
Key Australian Government Arts Organisations and Councils
- Australia Council for the Arts
- Australia International Cultural Council
- Meeting of Cultural Ministers
- Ministry for the Arts
- Screen Australia