2018 ACT Book of the Year Award
Nominations for the 2018 ACT Book of the Year Award open 1 June and close 5pm Tuesday 31 July 2018.
The ACT Government offers an ACT Book of the Year Award for excellence in literature, valued at $10,000 for the winner, $2,000 for any highly commended book and $1,000 for each shortlisted book. The Award aims to support the development of ACT-based writers and promote writing in the ACT.
The 2018 ACT Book of the Year Award recognises quality contemporary literary works including fiction, non-fiction and poetry by ACT-based authors published in the previous calendar year (2017).
Books are considered by an independent judging panel, which recommends a shortlist and winning author to the Minister the Arts and Community Events. A shortlist will be announced by 31 October 2018 and the winner will be announced in December 2018.
The 2018 ACT Book of the Year Award is open to books published between 1 January and 31 December 2017 (the publication date is taken as the date printed in the book). Nominees must meet and agree to the conditions of entry.
The ACT Book of the Year Award is open to books written by authors who reside in the ACT, or can specifically and strongly demonstrate an ACT-based arts practice. For information on demonstrating an ACT-based arts practice, see the Information for Applicants page.
The author may be an editor or translator who, in the opinion of the judges, has made a substantial and creative contribution to the original material from which the book is derived.
Books may be nominated by the author or the publisher. If a publisher wishes to nominate a book, they must have the agreement of the author and provide all relevant nomination information including the author’s contact details.
Nomination forms must be submitted via the artsACT online grants portal by 5pm Tuesday 31 July 2018. Forms will be available from 1 June 2018.
4 copies of the book and a copy of the nomination form must be:
Sent to -
ACT Book of the Year Award
GPO Box 158
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Or delivered to -
ACT Book of the Year Award
Canberra Nara Centre
1 Constitution Avenue
Canberra City ACT 2601
The books will be considered by a panel of three judges selected by artsACT. All decisions are final and no discussion or correspondence shall be entered into regarding the judging process.
Conditions of entry
- The closing date for nominations is 5pm, Tuesday 31 July 2018.
- The nominated book must have been published in English for the first time between 1 January 2017 and 31 December 2017 (the publication date is taken as the date printed in the book).
- E-books are eligible but must be provided in a PDF format.
- The nominated book must be written by an author who resides in the ACT, or can specifically and strongly demonstrate an ACT-based arts practice.
- Only one book per author may be nominated.
- The following books will not be considered: anthologies, military studies, picture books, instruction manuals, university theses, bibliographies, dictionaries, encyclopaedias, professional reference titles, guide books, catalogues, personal growth books, lifestyle or hobby books and educational text books.
- Nominations will only be accepted from publishers or authors.
- Publishers or authors must complete the online nomination form and send four copies of the nominated book to artsACT by the closing date.
- artsACT will not acknowledge receipt of the books but will contact the nominee if the books have not been received by the closing date.
- artsACT will determine eligibility but may seek the advice of the judging panel. The decision of artsACT is final.
- Books will not be returned to the author or publisher unless deemed to be ineligible. At the end of the judging, the books are provided to the ACT Library Service or other appropriate ACT Government agency.
- Copies of the shortlisted and winning books will be used to promote the Award and the authors.
- Shortlisted authors will be invited to attend the shortlist (if held) and winning announcement, as appropriate.
2017 ACT Book of the Year Award Winner
Congratulations to Tom Griffiths, whose novel The Art of Time Travel was announced the winner of the 2017 ACT Book of the Year Award at the ACT Writers Centre awards night on 7 December 2017.
Visit 2017 ACT Book of the Year Award for more information on the 2017 winner and shortlisted books.
For further information on the ACT Book of the Year Award, please contact artsACT on (02) 6207 2384 or email artsACT@act.gov.au
Previous winning nominations to the ACT Book of the Year Award (page hosted by Libraries ACT)