The ACT Government is making it easier for artists to apply for funding with the new Arts Activities categories.
From 1 June 2018, artists can apply for funding Up to $5,000 at any time of the year, giving them access to support for their arts practice when they need it. Artists can also apply for funding of Up to $50,000, with two rounds each year.
The $5-50k category of the Arts Activity funding round will open for applications on 1 June 2018 and close on 31 July 2018.
The Up to $5k category of the Arts Activity funding round is open all year round.
Applications for both categories must be submitted via the artsACT online grants portal
Applicants are encouraged to read the Applicant Handbook and attend the information session 5.30-7pm 13 June 2018 at the Ainslie Arts Centre, Elouera Street Braddon. This session does not require booking.
You can also book for 20 minute face to face conversations with an artsACT staff member at:
- Belconnen Arts Centre 12.00 – 2.00pm Tuesday 19 June 2018
- Ainslie Arts Centre 12.00 – 2.00pm Wednesday 20 June 2018
- Tuggeranong Arts Centre 12.00 – 2.00pm Thursday 21 June 2018
- Ainslie Arts Centre 4.00-6.00pm Thursday 21 June 2018
You must book for these sessions with artsACT on 6207 2384.
The ACT Government is committed to developing a new Arts Funding Plan for the arts in Canberra. The Arts Funding Plan aims to present a reinvigorated model of funding and support for the arts which responds to community requests for clear, flexible funding opportunities and a simplified funding process.
Arts Activities funding will replace the existing Project and Out of Round funding categories. It is available to ACT-based artists at all stages of their careers and to organisations providing the Canberra community with opportunities to engage in the arts.
Arts Activities funding aims to be flexible, responsive and more frequent, with fewer restrictions on eligible activities and more opportunities to apply. It will support artists, groups and arts organisations to undertake a broader range of activities including artform-based projects, mentorships, residencies, professional or skills development and opportunities for the community to actively engage in the arts.
Activities can relate to artforms including dance, literature, music, theatre, visual arts and arts based festivals. Government support for the screen sector is provided through Screen Canberra and all activities relating to screen or film should apply to Screen Canberra.
You can download the PDF and Word versions of the Arts Activities Handbook here:
Funded activities must strongly meet one or more of the following aims:
- Arts Development
- Arts Participation and Access
- Opportunities for Canberra arts and artists
Arts Activities funding is available through two categories:
Up to $5,000 for smaller projects, available all year round
- Requests can be from $500 to $5,000.
- Applications can be made at any time but must be submitted at least six weeks before the activity start date.
- Applications are staff assessed. External peers may be consulted if required.
- The standard time for activities to occur is within a six month period but this may be extended.
- Applicants can only receive funding in this category once each calendar year, except in exceptional circumstances.
- Unsuccessful applicants can seek feedback and reapply.
- Applicants may also apply to the $5-50k category for a different activity or another stage of the Up to $5,000 activity.
$5-50k for larger projects, available twice a year.
- Requests can be from over $5,000 to $50,000.
- There will be two rounds each year with set opening, closing and announcement dates.
- Round One will open 1 May and close 31 July, and be announced by 30 October for activities to commence from 1 December. (Note: for this year only, the opening date is 1 June 2018).
- Round Two will open 1 December and close 28 February each year, and be announced by 30 May for activities to commence from 1 July.
- Applications are peer assessed.
- The standard time for activities to occur is within a 12 month period but activities can be for up to 24 months.
- An applicant can only make one application in each round. Artists can be involved in more than one application, however, can only be the applicant for one application.
- Applicants can only receive funding in this category once each calendar year.
- Applicants may also apply to the $5-50k category for a different activity or another stage of the Up to $50,000 activity.
The Government has committed to $775,000 being available for Arts Activities, spread across the two categories. At least $200,000 will be available for the Up to $5,000 category over the calendar year (averaging $50,000 per quarter); and at least $550,000 will be available for the two rounds of $5-50k ($275,000 per round).
Applications will be assessed against the following three criteria:
- QUALITY – How is the activity interesting, different and/or important?
- BENEFIT – How does the activity meet one or more of the funding aims?
- PLANNING – Can the activity be completed within the budget and timeline provided? Do the key personnel have the necessary experience?
Applicants may also now include a short video statement to support their responses to the assessment questions, in addition to the written application. The content, not the quality, of videos will be considered by assessors.
Unsuccessful applicants can seek feedback and reapply to the immediate next round.
The Government will review the Up to $5,000 after six months and review the $5-50k after 12 months.