ACT arts funding is highly competitive. Each year more applications are received than are able to be supported. artsACT encourages all applicants to seek feedback by contacting (02) 62072384 or artsACT@act.gov.au to organise a suitable time.
Review your application
It may be helpful to review your application. Visit the artsACT online grants portal where you can log in to access your funding submissions. When reviewing your application, consider the following questions.
- Are the activity outcomes clear and do they meet the funding aims? Some applications provide a lot of background information but do not clearly explain the expected outcomes.
- Is the language used too technical or jargonistic? Take care to explain your activity simply and clearly. Assessors may not be familiar with the language or techniques of your artform.
- Is the funding request appropriate? Assessors will consider if the amount requested is reasonable against a range of factors including the number of people involved, the experience of the artist/s, the complexity of the activity and the outcomes to be achieved.
- Is the budget correct and are quotes for major expenses provided?
- Is the support material relevant and of a high standard? While it is important to include confirmation from key personnel and some artform material, too many attachments may confuse the application and reduce the significance of the material.
artsACT also encourages artists to consider the ACT arts landscape and their place within it and recommends:
- reading the ACT Arts Policy
- subscribing to artsACT’s mailing list for fortnightly updates about arts events and opportunities in the ACT including the opening of funding rounds
- joining relevant arts organisations and subscribing to their newsletters
- seeking opportunities to be on assessment panels with artsACT and other funding organisations.
Consider applying again
It is a testament to the strength and diversity of the ACT arts landscape that each year there are more high quality applications than are able to be supported. If you were unsuccessful and wish to reapply, here are some tips to help prepare future applications.
- Plan your activity with plenty of time and understand what it is you are trying to achieve.
- Consider whether some parts of your activity can go ahead without funding and then apply for funding only for those parts that require financial assistance. Being your own backer demonstrates your commitment to the activity and focuses your application.
- Consider whether there are other artists/organisations who could be involved – applications that involve a number of partners are often stronger as they demonstrate an interest in and a commitment to your activity by other people and organisations. Support may be financial or in-kind.
- Spend time on your budget and collect all the necessary quotes and confirmations from artists, venues etc.
- Develop a timeline for the activity that includes major milestones.
- Allow enough time to collect the support material, making sure it is relevant and of a quality that best showcases your work.
- Have an independent person read a draft application.
- Contact other artists or arts organisations that may be of assistance.
- Read all the funding guidelines and information provided by artsACT, attend information sessions and contact artsACT to talk through your project.
- Consider other ACT Government, Australian Government and philanthropic funding as well as crowd-funding as options. You will find useful links here.
Look at the types of activity funded in previous years
Follow this link for a list of previous funding recipients.