Program: Making CBRarts Happen
Making CBRarts Happen Program (PDF 763KB)
9:00am - 10:00am Registration, Welcome and Overview
Jeff House, Deputy Director-General, Arts, Business, Events, Sport and Tourism
The Future of Arts Funding – Local and National Perspectives
Facilitated by Cathy Hunt, in conversation with:
- Marie-Louise Carroll, Creative Partnerships Australia
- Frank Panucci, Australia Council
- Adam Stankevicius, Arts and Events, ACT Government
Following the conversation participants will be given the opportunity to ask questions of the panel.
11:30am – 11:45am Break
11:45am – 13:00am Canberra: a city of great art and great artists
To start our discussion about the funding of the arts we want to understand the character of our dynamic and diverse arts sector, and what is valued by our community and the sector.
During your discussions in your groups consider:
- What is the Canberra’s arts ecology point of difference?
- What does excellence look like in a Canberra context?
- What are the features of our dynamic and diverse arts ecology?
- What stories do we have to tell local, national and global audiences?
1pm – 1:30pm Lunch
1:30pm – 2:30pm Issues of Funding
The ACT Government has identified four principles to assist in realising the ACT Arts Policy’s vision. We need to consider how we can support the four principles outlined in the ACT Arts Policy, and ensure the sustainability of arts practice through a diverse range of funding for Canberra arts. With your group you will be asked to consider one of the four topics below. Be mindful of outcomes from the forum’s discussions before lunch in your discussions.
Supporting Great Art and Great Artists
- What are the expectations on funding from the ACT Government?
- How are the needs of individuals, organisations, and the whole sector managed, to provide for sustainability, diversity, growth, innovation and renewal across the sector?
- How should unscheduled opportunities be managed along-side more structured funding rounds?
- Is there a need for greater flexibility in the type and timing of funding available?
Developing the vitality of the arts ecology
- How can funding be provided to support artist at all stages of their careers?
- How can support be provided to artists, arts workers, organisations and facilities for sector-wide development?
- Do the current ACT Arts Fund categories remain relevant? If not – what changes are needed?
Diversifying funding for Canberra arts
- What should expectations be for funding recipients when it comes to philanthropy, sponsorship, crowd-funding, entrepreneurial and other opportunities?
- What is needed to take advantage of these opportunities?
Providing participation and access to the arts
- How do we improve support for community access and participation in the arts?
- How do we improve access to under-represented section of the community in terms of professional practice and community participation (for example people with a disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Canberra cultural and linguistic diversity)?
2:30pm - 3:00pm Conclusion and Wrap Up
Adam Stankevicius, Director, Arts and Events, ACT Government