Arts Infrastructure Plan
CBRarts Forum: Creative Spaces, Creative Places (December 2015)
The first CBRarts Forum: Creative Spaces, Creative Places was a chance to continue discuss the future needs for cultural infrastructure and celebrate our successes since the release of 2003 Arts Facilities Strategy (PDF 1.2MB) It also allows us to look at how urban renewal and planning may support developing the arts in Canberra.
Fifty-one members of the community took part in the forum on 10 December 2015 to discuss:
- how arts facilities can meet community needs now and in the future; and
- the role of the arts in improving the vibrancy and liveability of Canberra.
The Summary Report provides an overview of the issues raised during the Forum. Through our discussions at the Forum, the following themes emerged:
- Access and Design, including providing access to the diversity of artist and community audiences, transport access and the physical access and design of arts facilities to improve how they interact with the city.
- Models of Management, roles and responsibilities, the value in defining the role of arts facilities, and the role of co-location, the private sector and sharing resources.
- Maintenance, resourcing and managing of the maintenance of arts facilities.
- Programming, the role of programming is important to the sustainability of arts facilities.
A background paper was prepared providing further context and pose some questions about the issues we would like to engage the community on. Please feel free to tweet, email, mail or arrange to meet us to put forward your views on the issues raised.
An ongoing conversation
We welcome community and arts sector views as we develop our strategy for cultural infrastructure. We will also use the artsACT eNews and Twitter account (@artsACT1) to share updates, and provide information on this website.
We have also meet with ACT Government facilities managers to discuss building management issues and the outcomes from the CBRarts Forum.
Cultural Infrastructure Survey
Following Creative Spaces Creative Places, the Cultural Infrastructure Survey provided the community with a further opportunity to share their views on the future of Canberra’s Cultural Infrastructure (theatres, arts centres, studios, public art). The survey closed on 31 March 2016.
Responses from this survey will further help in developing the ACT Government Cultural Infrastructure Plan. We will publish the outcomes of the survey on this website.