Arts Activities Up to $5k funding round
For administrative reasons, the 2018 Arts Activities Up to $5k form will close 31 December 2018. If you have started but not submitted an application by this date, you will need to start a 2019 application form, which will be available from 1 January 2019. There will be no changes to the funding guidelines and you will still be able to view your previous application form.
Arts Activities $5-50k funding round opening 1 December 2018, closing 28 February 2019
Arts Activities funding can be used for a range of activities across a number of artforms. If you are not sure this funding is right for your activity or want to know more about what to put in an application, you can watch an information session recorded earlier this year or book in for a one-on-one session.
When: 12 - 2 pm, Thursday, 31 January 2019
Where: Ainslie Arts Centre
Booking: email artsACT@act.gov.au or call 6207 2384 to make a time
Arts Activities funding is available to ACT-based artists at all stages of their careers and to organisations providing the Canberra community with opportunities to engage in the arts. It aims to be flexible, responsive and more frequent, with fewer restrictions on eligible activities and more opportunities to apply. It will support artists, groups and arts organisations to undertake a broader range of activities including artform-based projects, mentorships, residencies, professional or skills development and opportunities for the community to actively engage in the arts.
Activities can relate to artforms including dance, literature, music, theatre, visual arts and arts based festivals. Government support for the screen sector is provided through Screen Canberra and all activities relating to screen or film should apply to Screen Canberra.
There are two categories available:
- Up to $5k Funding: is open all year round. Applications must be submitted at least six weeks before the activity start date.
- $5-50k Funding: two rounds per year with the next round opening on 1 December 2018 and closing on 28 February 2019 for activities starting after 1 July 2019.
Applications to both categories must be submitted via the online artsACT grants portal.
Applicants are encouraged to read the Arts Activities Handbook. For further assistance, please call artsACT on 6207 2384.
We also have two videos about Arts Activities Funding:
- What is Arts Activity Funding for?
- Arts Activities Funding Information session video (13 June 2018, 22 minutes 33 seconds)
Funded activities must strongly meet one or more of the following aims:
- Arts Development
- Arts Participation and Access
- Arts Opportunities
Arts Activities Funding is available through two categories:
Up to $5k for smaller projects, available all year round.
- Requests can be from $500 to $5,000.
- Applications can be made at any time but must be submitted at least six weeks before the activity start date.
- Applications are staff assessed. External peers may be consulted if required.
- The standard time for activities to occur is within a six month period but this may be extended.
- Applicants can only receive funding in this category once each calendar year, except in exceptional circumstances.
- Unsuccessful applicants can seek feedback and reapply.
- Applicants may also apply to the $5-50k category for a different activity or another stage of the Up to $5k activity.
$5-50k for larger projects, available twice a year.
- Requests can be from over $5,000 to $50,000.
- There will be two rounds each year with set opening, closing and announcement dates.
- Round One will open 1 May and close 31 July and will be announced by 31 October for activities to commence from 1 December.
- Round Two will open 1 December and close 28 February each year, and be announced by 30 May for activities to commence from 1 July.
- Applications are peer assessed.
- The standard time for activities to occur is within a 12 month period but can be up to 24 months.
- An applicant can only make one application in each round but can be involved in other applications.
- Applicants can only receive funding in this category once each calendar year.
- Applicants may also apply to the Up to $5k category for a different activity or another stage of the $5-50k activity.
The Government has committed to $775,000 being available for Arts Activities across the two categories. At least $175,000 will be available for the Up to $5k category over the calendar year, and at least $600,000 will be available for the two $5-50k rounds .
Applications will be assessed against the following three criteria:
- QUALITY – How is the activity interesting, different and/or important?
- BENEFIT – How does the activity meet one or more of the funding aims?
- PLANNING – Can the activity be completed within the budget and timeline provided? Do the key personnel have the necessary experience?
Applicants may also now include a short video statement to support their responses to the assessment questions, in addition to the written application. The content, not the quality, of videos will be considered by assessors.
Unsuccessful applicants can seek feedback and reapply to the immediate next round.
The Government will review the Up to $5k category after six months and review the $5-50k after 12 months.